NDX Filter Shots

All these images were taken with a Cokin NDX filter which reduces light by a massive 13 stops, ie you can’t see anything through it.

They are all around 10 minute exposures in the middle of the day with lots of people around but because of the long exposure they seem mostly deserted.

I converted them to black and white because unfortunately the filter has a colour shift which is near impossible to correct.

I like they way they feel…kinda deserted and slightly disturbing.

Not entirely happy with the result and will go back and do again possibly when it is more overcast so the shadows aren’t as problematic.

Nikon D70s, 18-70mm Lens, ISO 200, Cokin NDX Filter.

Advertisements

8 responses

1. Amanda

Somehow they feel post-apocalyptic to me.

12/08/2010 at 19:56

• The colour ones felt more Post-apocalyptic with a crazy magenta cast to them 🙂

13/08/2010 at 18:07

2. 13 stops!!!, sheesh I’m surprised you can see any movement at all, pretty cool!

12/08/2010 at 23:43

• Yeah its kinda like putting a solid piece of black plastic over the lens… Still need work though.

13/08/2010 at 18:03

3. These are great. I can’t imagine a 10 minute shutter! My camere won’t do over a minute I don’t think.

13/08/2010 at 02:33

• Cheers! If you have an SLR you just need a remote shutter release 🙂

13/08/2010 at 18:04

4. masivaan

Whoa, awesome! Nice to see someone else experimenting with a pitch black ND filter in wellington. Keep them coming

15/08/2010 at 00:15