Posts tagged “Adventures In Assisting

Adventures In Assisting: TINKture Tattoo Aftercare by Le’Esscience Shoot

A couple of weeks ago I was involved with a photo shoot for TINKture Tattoo Aftercare by Le’Esscience with Bev Short.

What better way to compliment a 20’s inspired shoot than with some behind the scenes shots from a 50’s camera 🙂

Rolleiflex 2.8 E, Ilford HP5+ 400 ISO Film, CanoScan 9000F Scanner.

Advertisements

Adventures In Assisting: Out Of The Box

Another shoot with Bev Short for her NZ Tattoo project. This one was using the storeroom in the New Zealand Portrait Gallery here in Wellington as a set and we got to have it for a couple of days so things wouldn’t be too hectic especially since we were basically building a set for the shoot.

The main element of the set was the packing crate which I ended up making (and then destroying). The day I took the finished crate (unbroken) to Bevs we found out that breaking it was going to be a bit problematic. No matter how hard I stomped on the thing it just wouldn’t break, next came the hammer (that was possibly the smallest hammer I have ever seen) and after about 15 minutes it was starting to look a bit more demolished, although I managed to pull a muscle in my shoulder doing it (must be getting old).

Since this shoot was going to be inside over two days I thought it would be fun to set up my D90 as a time lapse camera to show what goes on (the video is done and just getting a custom music track from my friend Ben Capp) and should be up later this week 🙂 Its the entire photoshoot from empty storeroom to empty storeroom in 3 minutes.

The first day was building the set and initial lighting set-up which went pretty smoothly complete with fake dust and occasional issues with light bulbs.

Day two and Gillian Parkinson  (model) and Matt Middleton (make-up) turned up which gave me some time to take some shots of everything.

Enjoy

See finished image HERE

Box before destruction

Box after attempted destruction

Box in position on the set.

Bev posing for the time lapse camera

The time lapse camera up above the shoot and looking out to the gallery.

Custom dust placement.

Catering Trolley

Make-up under scrutiny.

Wood particle placement.

Eye lashes Matt made from peacock feathers.

Costume alterations.

More costume alterations.

Hair alterations.

Instruction.

Shooting.

Stand in.

Final Set-up.

Square Shots: Rolleiflex 2.8 E, Ilford HP5+ 400 ISO Film, CanoScan 9000F Scanner.

35mm Shots: Nikon F5, 50mm f1.8 and 35mm f2 Lenses, Ilford HP5+ 400 ISO Film Pushed to 1600 ISO, CanoScan 9000F Scanner.


Adventures In Assisting: Wind, Birds and Duct Tape

Another shoot with Bev Short, who currently has her “All Woman”  exhibition at the New Zealand Portrait Gallery, if you are in Wellington you should go and see it, some of the shoots are on this blog. This one was for her new Tattoo project.

This is one of those shoots that should be pretty straight forward but end up being anything but…

Driving up to the location the weather started to look ominous and as soon as I pulled in it started to rain. I was there first so started scouting around for an indoor location just in case the rain didn’t stop but luckily by the time everyone else got there it had stopped enough to go on with the original location.

Bev and Matt Middleton (SFX make-up) had spent an afternoon constructing a set of angel wings that were going to be put on the model, Andre, using duct tape (see images 3 and 4). The initial setup went well apart from the strong wind that started blowing, luckily Andre’s cousin came along with him and ended up holding the 5 foot softbox from blowing away for a couple of hours.

With wings held on with a roll of duct tape Andre came out and stood on his mark only to have the wings pretty much destroyed by the wind which led to about an hour and another couple of rolls of tape being used to hold them in place.

Once this was sorted out the next element was a dove (we only got 3) which was to be captured just as it was taking off from Andres outstretched hands… The cool thing about the doves was that once they were released they were homing and just went back to their roost… Unfortunately they were a bit camera shy and didn’t take direction too well and 1 especially liked turning its head round nearly 360 degrees which was a bit unnerving.

So after all the doves had been released we were pretty much done… Hopefully with not too much damage to Andres back taking off the wings 🙂

You can see the final image on Bevs blog HERE

Rolleiflex 2.8 E, Ilford HP5+ 400 ISO Film, Nikon D90, 24 f2.8 Lens.