I have been teaching a spot of darkroom lately. Its nice to be back and playing with prints again.
Here go a few print that I used for example for the students…
Tissue paper border
Cellophane and Tissue paper.
After looking round for a 6 x 6 enlarger mask to be able to print shots from my Rolleiflex I have finally just decided to make one out of matte board.
With less parts being available all the time (especially in little old New Zealand) it seems more and more I have to make this kind of stuff myself. I have even gone as far as buying a couple of enlargers (super cheap) but they were all missing a part or two. At least I will have lots of spare parts or things to build random stuff out of 🙂
I think I may have made a small mistake by using a section of foam core in the middle to make the whole thing thicker and may have to tape up the sides since it seems to let light out…
Its all glued up and will take it into the darkroom for a test on Monday next week…
Its for a LPL 7700 Enlarger if anyone has a spare mask 🙂
So the other day I went and did some printing in a community darkroom… After a few problems I finally managed to get into the swing of things and get some prints done.
The bigger prints are on 16×20 glossy heavyweight paper and the smaller ones are on 8×10 glossy heavyweight paper. Overall I was pretty happy with the results especially since this was the first time I had darkroom printed any of my Rolleiflex negatives… They were super nice 🙂
This shot does these prints no justice at all 🙂
Today I am heading to a darkroom for 10 hours of printing madness… Wish me luck 🙂
This is a shot I took last time I was there in August 2010… Its been a while.
Managed to get in a darkroom printing session this week so of course I had to get a photo of it 🙂
This is the City Council public darkroom and at $5 NZ per hour is a pretty good setup with everything you need except chemicals and paper (there a both of those there to use but are other people’s cast offs so wasnt too keen to use them)
I spent the first couple of hours thinking my paper was dud since I couldn’t get any contrast even with using a whole heap of magenta filter and then discovered that the filters had been disengaged on a switch on the side of the enlarger and once this was discovered things went a lot more smoothly… A trick to remember for next time.
It’s nice to know that I can still be a Dumbass sometimes 🙂