After cutting out the first gobo the plan was to test how well the overall concept worked in the studio environment using digital.
Actual lighting diagram
The overall concept looks like it will work well with a little bit of tweaking especially with the light not associated with the gobo.
Still need to test using a “negative” gobo and then move onto a full scale test using large format film…
As I think about the overall project more and more I think it might end up being centered around “spirit animals” with each individual choosing which animal they most closely associate with.
More to come 🙂
If you are looking for more recent stuff try @darkhalide on Instagram
Blog has been a bit neglected of late but I am starting my first real project in quite a long time and thought this was probably the best place to put my thoughts, trials, failures, successes…
Anyway the project is a group of images for exhibition using my large format 4 x 5 Cambo camera which has also been sadly neglected sitting in its box in my garage for longer than I can remember.
The concept is to use cutouts (or gobos) to create shadows or highlights on portraits. This is done by using a snooted studio light so as to not spill too much light around the gobo.
To create a gobo I have been printing out images onto framing matte board and then cutting them out with a craft knife.
So far I have cutout a few gobos…
I plan to play around with both positive masks as well as negative masks so see which one will work best or possibly a mixture of both…
Been a while… Playing with my scanner again
Canon CanoScan 9000F Scanner.
I have been teaching a spot of darkroom lately. Its nice to be back and playing with prints again.
Here go a few print that I used for example for the students…
Tissue paper border
Cellophane and Tissue paper.
No Photoshop involved. Straight form the camera
Nikon D90, 50mm f1.8 Lens, 3200 ISO. (No Photoshop)
After looking round for a 6 x 6 enlarger mask to be able to print shots from my Rolleiflex I have finally just decided to make one out of matte board.
With less parts being available all the time (especially in little old New Zealand) it seems more and more I have to make this kind of stuff myself. I have even gone as far as buying a couple of enlargers (super cheap) but they were all missing a part or two. At least I will have lots of spare parts or things to build random stuff out of 🙂
I think I may have made a small mistake by using a section of foam core in the middle to make the whole thing thicker and may have to tape up the sides since it seems to let light out…
Its all glued up and will take it into the darkroom for a test on Monday next week…
Its for a LPL 7700 Enlarger if anyone has a spare mask 🙂
New book came in the post today and had to be saved from the letter box due to heavy rain.
This is my first step into researching Wet Plate Collodion photography 🙂
Shot of a Kereru (New Zealand native wood pigeon) just taking off… Just missed the end of his beak… Gutted
Such is life
Nikon D90, Nikon 80- 200 f2.8 Lens.
Another shot from the Horizon 202
Horizon 202 Camera, Ilford Delta 100 (expired), CanoScan 9000F Scanner.
Been playing with a Russian Horizon 202 lately… I really like how it distorts straight things making them look curved 🙂
Horizon 202, Ilford Delta 100 (Expired), CanoScan 9000F Scanner.
A few more double exposures from my Fuji Instax Neo Classic 🙂
Fuji Instax Neo Classic
Testing out the Olympus OM10, Self portrait styles… Turns out that the camera has a fault 😦
Olympus OM10, 50mm f1.8 Lens, Ilford Delta 100 ISO Film (very Expired), CanoScan 9000F Scanner.
I went camping the other week and we camped at the base of this tree, possibly because I wanted to shoot star trails through it, unfortunately it clouded over and there were no stars to be seen.
There also seemed to be a bumble bee nest quite close by…
Nikon D90,Sigma 12-24mm Lens, ISO 50
Another instax double exposure attempt, not sure if I like it but it definitely has potential… Now I just need to buy some more film for it 🙂
Fuji Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic
So I went and got a new toy the other day… A Fuji Neo Classic Instax Mini camera… It has just enough functionality to make it fun 🙂 and its thin so fits in my camera bag beside Rollei 🙂
Here go a couple of results from the first pack of film 🙂
10 Second Bulb Exposure
The last lot of images from the weekend of Urbex/Parkour.
The only problem with going out with a group is that you cant be everywhere at once.
Still need to practice a bit more 🙂
Nikon D90, Sigma 12-24mm Lens, 3 x Pocket Wizards, Nikon SB-80 and SB-28 Speedlights.
First edit of Parkour Images from Sunday
Nikon D90, Sigma 12-24mm Lens
The only shot I have processed so far from yesterdays Urbex/Parkour crossover 🙂
More to come 🙂
I finally got around to pulling apart my broken Canon Demi S half frame camera to see if I could get it back up and running. I found a repair manual online for a slightly different model of camera and started dismantling. There was a major difference unfortunatley in how the front cover came off which would have saved a lot of time and trouble but you live and learn.
I got it all back together (with no extra bits left out) with the initial problem fixed but another problem arose which meant I needed to pull it al apart again… Lets just say its a work in progress 🙂
Luckily while I was doing this I was also bidding on another one online 🙂
Same flowers but after a week of sitting on my desk 🙂
I have been collecting flowers given to me by my 3 year old for scanning. These are the flowers from last week on the same day they were given.